rrread

R-r-read

I can be found at http://r-r-read.tumblr.com.

Familiar Things - Lia Habel

"Familiar Things" is one of the best self-published books I have read in a long time. The plot was well-paced, and Habel's take on witches was refreshingly original and interesting. I particularly enjoyed the time difference between the magical and regular worlds and the explanation that is given. That is one thing I really appreciated about this book: every time I had a question about why or how something happened, it is almost immediately explained to the reader.

The story was well-paced, and the plot twists were surprising without feeling like they came out of left field. I loved that the frustratingly mysterious pieces of Everrose's life slowly fall into place over the course of the story and collectively point the reader to a rather insightful conclusion about Everrose's magic, her past, her present, and her future as a witch in All Hallows.
Unfortunately, I didn't like the characters in this new series as well as I liked the characters in her previous books. None of the secondary characters were very well-developed, and even the main character was very hard for me to connect with. I wanted more insight into Everrose as a person, something to make her memorable aside from the part she played within the story.
Although it is explained later in the book, I really did not care for Vincent and his hot-and-cold approach to Everrose. This felt Twilight-ish, and not in a good way. Even worse is the creepy-close relationship Everrose develops with Vincent's father, the Mayor. I am not sure why, but the chemistry that developed between the two of them just rubbed me the wrong way and it didn't make sense to me.

One thing I did really enjoy about Vincent and his father was the political debates that are sparked after Vincent returns to All Hallows after visiting present-day 2015. They raised a lot of the same questions and concerns that I had with the time difference and All Hallows rules. This was a wonderful side-plot that really added some dimension to the story and the world as a whole.

Overall this was an inventive, enjoyable read for anyone who likes fiction about witches and magic. The world-building is by far the best part of the story. The plot is delightfully twisty and well-paced, but I wanted a little more dimension from the characters. I am excited to see what the next book in the series brings!

Thank you to Lia Habel for allowing me to review this book! Review copy was provided to me in exchange for an honest review.