rrread

R-r-read

I can be found at http://r-r-read.tumblr.com.

The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn't, the Mummy That Was, and the Cat in the Jar (The Parasol Protectorate Book 6) - Gail Carriger

This was a fantastic little novella for those who cannot get enough of Gail Carriger's "Parasol Protectorate" series. While I cannot say that I necessary liked Alessandro the same way that I liked Alexia, he is definitely what I would have expected given the descriptions of him throughout the series. His snooty, rude, anti-supernatural personality matched what I had cooked up in my head perfectly. I loved getting to read a bit more of Floote as well. His signature stoicism in the face of strange, off-the-wall happenings is hilariously clever.  I do wish we could have seen a bit of Professor Lyall and the wolf pack, but maybe Carriger will write an additional novella to fill in some of those details we missed in this first Alessandro story.

Overall it was a real treat to get a brief look into the life of Alexia's father and Floote's servitude to him. This story filled in some additional information about Egypt and their mythology within the context of Carriger's alternate history, while simultaneously generating even more questions that will hopefully be answered in additional books or novellas.