rrread

R-r-read

I can be found at http://r-r-read.tumblr.com.

The Island Trilogy: (complete Island series Books 1-3) - Jen Minkman

I’ve reviewed all the books in this series before, and I think it is wonderful they’re available as a set now that Walt and Leia’s story has come to an end. This series is really different from most YA books I have read recently. It focuses more on the anthropological and religious impacts of culture clash, rebellion, and invasion. Minkman examines these situations from both sides of the conflict and forces the reader to search for the real meaning of truth, the real value of faith, the root cause of corruption. I’ll include an excerpt of my review of each book, so you can get an idea what to expect from this wonderful series:

The Island

This book perfectly illustrates a situation that happens frequently in anthropology. An object is discovered by a group of people, and because they do not have any knowledge of its history, they inject their own significance. The book that is the basis for Leia’s entire culture and religion is a book that has been completely taken out of context and construed into something it is not. This, combined with the way Minkman artfully addresses the age-old problem of people fearing things that are different or they do not understand creates a really unique YA book. My only issue with this novella was the lack of conflict.

The Waves

When I read the first book in this series, The Island, while I appreciated the anthropological and cultural issues addressed throughout the book, the lack of uprising when religious views were brought into question rang false with me, and left me a little disappointed. This was definitely not a problem in this second installment. I absolutely loved the way Minkman was able to showcase the myriad of reactions people have when their faith is brought into question, when their truth is proved to be a blatant lie. This is a book about faith, loss, hope, growth, love, hatred, deception—but most of all it is a book about the human condition.

The Deep

This was another fantastic addition to “The Island” series. Minkman continues the anthropological and religious focus introduced in the previous two books in the series, but takes it to a whole new level. As her characters expand their world, they also expand their understanding of humanity, a higher power, and one another. If you enjoy realistic dystopian fiction with an anthropological and religious focus, you should really pick this series up.

In short, give the series a try. It’s just $2.99 on Amazon (6/28/2014) for 3 books that are completely different than most YA dystopian books out on the market now. If you love YA dystopian fiction but you’re tired of reading the same old thing all the time, this is perfect for you.