rrread

R-r-read

I can be found at http://r-r-read.tumblr.com.

The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories (Carolrhoda Ya)

The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories - Maggie Stiefvater, Brenna Yovanoff, Tessa Gratton The Good

The commentary. What really makes this anthology stand out isn't the amazing stories, it's the author commentary. At the beginning of each story, the author of the story as well as one of the other authors comments on the story, usually giving insight into its origins or meaning. In addition to introductions, throughout the book you will find handwritten comments from the authors about various aspects of the stories. These additional comments give insight into the creative process that wouldn't be available otherwise. For readers that are also authors, this book is a must-have.
The variety. Upon looking at the cover of the book and having read many of Maggie's books, I assumed that all the books within the anthology would deal with magic or the paranormal in some way. Not true. This book deals with faeries, fire, murder, magic, vampires, love, loss, kisses, warriors. What more could you possibly want?
The website tie-in. I have visited Maggie's website on several occasions and frequently look at her blog updates, but until this book came out I did not know there was a website dedicated solely to the Merry Sisters of Fate. On this website, these three authors post short stories just like those in the anthology. After reading the book, I am definitely going to keep the website on my radar and visit as often as possible. Honestly, their stories are addicting and it's wonderful to know that I don't have to wait to read more, all I have to do is open a web browser!
Overall Rating
5/5
Amazing, really loved this. This is a wonderful collection of artfully crafted stories but, through the author's comments, also serves as a window into the creative process which makes it unique.